[MEncoder-users] Framerate keeps switching

Scott W. Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Fri May 29 20:52:20 CEST 2009

James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> Andrew Berg wrote:
>> I have a few DVDs of films, and MPlayer keeps switching between
>> 24000/1001 fps and 30000/1001 fps. I have two questions:
>>
>> Why does it keep switching?
>>
> Filmed on film, edited on video equipment.

Another time they do this is for television shows that were shot on film
but only exist on worn telecined videotapes now. When they transfer the
tapes to DVD, the encoders try very hard to convert it back to 24p to save
space but default to 60i whenever they can't match the pattern with
certainty due to flaws in the tapes. You'll see mplayer jump to 30000/1001
fps during the damaged section then back to 24000/1001 fps once it's past
it. Some tapes are so worn that it will switch frame rates several times a
minute.