[MEncoder-users] Dualcore and Quadcore performance?

Al Bogner mencoder at ml082.pinguin.uni.cc
Sun Mar 22 20:49:17 CET 2009

Am Sonntag 22 März 2009 20:25:22 schrieb larrystotler at netscape.net:

> >> I want to build a PC with Opensuse 11.1 especially for video-encoding.?

> FInally, they weren't using mencoder, so I'm not sure how well that
> relates.? Here's a good page with an x264comparison:
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/01/08/amd-phenom-ii-x4-940-and-9
>20-review/9

Thank you both for the reviews. Unfortunately both didn't help me to get a
feeling what is the difference in speed with these processors, using mencoder
and Opensuse 11.1 or any other linux. Since I want to compare cpus, which I
don't own, it doesn't make sense to compare myself.

AMD Phenom II X4 920 4x 2.80GHz AM2+ 125W Stepping C2 Box
INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 2x 3,00GHz 6MB 333MHz boxed or
INTEL Core 2 Quad Q8200 4x 2.33GHz, 333MHz

bit-tech.net mentions the Phenom, but not these Intel cpus above. Both Intel
cpus have a similar price and the Phenom is a little bit higher.

It is getting complicated with the onboard-components of the boards, because I
read of audio-problems with Asus-boards and Realtek chips. The AMD system will
be about 20€ more expensive, so the decision will go to the faster encoding
cpu and of course I am interested in the problems with the TLB-Bug of the
Phenom which would be an argument to use an Intel cpu.

Al