[MEncoder-users] Mac OSX binaries

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 2 15:34:10 CEST 2009

On 6/2/09 6:52 AM, "James Hastings-Trew" <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:

> The tutorial on that wiki specifically does not build mencoder:
>
> ./configure --extra-libs="-ldvdcss" --disable-x11 --disable-gl
> --disable-mencoder --disable-dvdread-internal --enable-apple-remote
> --prefix=$MPPREFIX
>
> Nor does it explain where to get get all of the needed sources and
> dependencies.
>
> Back to the original question - does anyone have an up to date build of
> mencoder and mplayer for mac os x?

I just did it this morning on an Intel Mac running 10.5.7. I'm not sure if
PPC might be different, but if you'll install a new boot volume with 10.5.7,
X11 enabled (default) and all accompanying updates onto an Intel boot
volume, then run the following commands in the terminal, there's hardly any
chance it will fail. The binary won't be static, but I don't remember that
being a requirement for you. I've done it a half dozen times or so since
10.5.6 was released. Then maybe you can try running the resulting binaries
on your typical system and see what failures you encounter and go from
there.

In all likelihood, there's a conflict with some other open source software
on your system. There could be a conflict with hardware drivers too, I
suppose. I seem to recall installing recently on one system where I wasn't
able to get OSD without a bunch of additional open source font
configuration.

Anyway, here's what works for me on a clean and fully patched 10.5.7 boot
volume, the steps for which are simple.

Download and install MPlayer (including MEncoder:
Open a new Terminal window and type "svn checkout
svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer".
When Terminal activity ceases and you once again see the command prompt,
type cd mplayer and press Return.
Type ./configure and press Return.
When Terminal activity ceases and you once again see the command prompt,
type sudo make install and press Return. Enter your password when prompted
and press Return again.

Laine