[MEncoder-users] Mac OSX binaries

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 4 02:10:05 CEST 2009

L Lee wrote:

> Anyway, here's what works for me on a clean and fully patched 10.5.7 boot
> volume, the steps for which are simple.

Thanks to Laine's help, both directly and indirectly, I have
successfully built a pretty good version of mplayer and mencoder on 2
different Macs. I don't have all the supported features in place, but I
have the ones I use the most often. I'll outline the steps here with
some duplication of what Laine wrote in the hopes that it helps someone
else trying to figure out how to do this.

These steps worked for me on two different machines (a Mac Pro with dual
quad-core Xeon processors, and a MacBook with Core2 Duo processors).
Both machines were running fully up-to-date Mac OS 10.5.7

Step 1: Make sure you have XCode installed. If you don't you can find it
on the Leopard install DVD in "other installers".
Step 2: Download this faac library package (
http://www.easelnet.com/app/supportfiles.zip )and install it.

What I did for the following steps was to make a folder at
~/Documents/develop, and I put all the sources I downloaded in there.
Not 100% necessary, but it keeps things tidy.

Step 3: Get the latest source for x264 (
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/snapshots/x264-snapshot-20090603-2245.tar.bz2
). Extract the archive, rename the folder to x264, and put that folder
in ~/Documents/develop
Step 4: Get the source for xvidcore (
http://downloads.xvid.org/downloads/xvidcore-1.2.2.tar.gz ). Extract the
archive, rename the folder to xvid, and put that folder in
~/Documents/develop
Step 5: Get the source for lame (
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=290&filename=lame-398-2.tar.gz&a=8622362
). Extract the archive, rename the folder to lame, and put that folder
in ~/Documents/develop
Step 6: Get the source for mplayer. To do this, open a terminal and type
the following commands (waiting for each step to complete):

cd Documents/develop
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer

Step 7: Now you have to compile all the bits that you downloaded. Here
is what I did:
cd x264
./configure --disable-asm
sudo make install
cd ../lame
./configure
sudo make install
cd ../xvid/build/generic
./configure
sudo make install
cd ../../../mplayer
./configure
sudo make install

When the smoke clears, you should have a version of mencoder that
supports x264, lame, and xvid codecs, in addition to the the libavcodecs
it has built in. Will these executables work on machines they weren't
built on? I do not know the answer.

As I tinker with this I'm going to see what it takes to get some of the
other missing stuff (like the live555 support, or toolame, etc.) in
there as well, but I don't really need that at the moment.

Thanks again Laine, I couldn't have done this without your help.