[MEncoder-users] Converting H.264-AVC 1920 X 1080 to mpeg-2

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 20 15:30:44 CET 2009

On 2/20/09 2:45 AM, "Christian Ebert" <blacktrash at gmx.net> wrote:

>> But my output is all gray with patches of splotchy video.
>
> Unfortunately, with the sample you sent me so far I can only
> confirm your issues :-(
>
>> Is there any way
>> for me to fix the problem that results in messages like these?
>>
>> ----
>> [h264 @ 0x181e800]reference picture missing during reorder:0.037 [4105:192]
>> [h264 @ 0x181e800]Missing reference picture
>> [h264 @ 0x181e800]illegal short term buffer state detected
>> ----
>
> afaics this means that libx264 can't decode because it can't
> handle the header info -- and both mencoder and qttoy4m use it
> for decoding. And, you're right, somehow the abominably slow
> movtoy4m seems to circumvent this.
>
> Will let you know if I stumble over any kind of better solution.

Thanks. And belcampo's suggestion to output a raw .h264 file using MP4Box
gets me halfway there. When I tell mencoder to encode the .h264 file
generated by MP4Box, the picture quality is excellent, but the motion is all
messed up, presumably because I don't know how to tell mencoder what frames
and frame rate to use. If you could shed light on that situation, that would
also be welcome. Thanks again.

Laine