[MEncoder-users] Converting H.264-AVC 1920 X 1080 to mpeg-2

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Fri Feb 20 09:45:16 CET 2009

Hi Lee,

* L Lee on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 00:23:12 -0600
> On 2/9/09 12:03 AM, I <llee040 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I have some h.264 mp4 source files that I would like to convert to mpeg-2 to
>> create standard DVDs.
>
> I now realize I can't get past "writing header" until I include encoding of
> audio with something like "-oac lavc".
>
> But my output is all gray with patches of splotchy video.

Unfortunately, with the sample you sent me so far I can only
confirm your issues :-(

> Is there any way
> for me to fix the problem that results in messages like these?
>
> ----
> [h264 @ 0x181e800]reference picture missing during reorder:0.037 [4105:192]
> [h264 @ 0x181e800]Missing reference picture
> [h264 @ 0x181e800]illegal short term buffer state detected
> ----

afaics this means that libx264 can't decode because it can't
handle the header info -- and both mencoder and qttoy4m use it
for decoding. And, you're right, somehow the abominably slow
movtoy4m seems to circumvent this.

Will let you know if I stumble over any kind of better solution.

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_
Ein deutscher Western/A German Western
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.html
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc-en.html