[MEncoder-users] Converting H.264-AVC 1920 X 1080 to mpeg-2

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Feb 19 17:53:20 CET 2009

Hello,

just since I happened to spot these...

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:55:53PM -0600, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> L Lee wrote:
> > Yes, I tried playing using mplayer with the same result, so I figure my best
> > bet is to find a filter that will let it handle the files. The smear is the
> > other way the problem manifests itself. The messages appear so frequently,
> > I'm sure that the problem exists quite homogenously. It has to be a format
> > thing.

You could try -demuxer mov

> I complied mencoder from SVN yesterday, and ended up with version 28500.
> Works fine as far as I can tell, but mplayer throws an error about the
> -vo macosx being unavailable. Since literally all I did was:
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
> ./configure
> make

You will probably need to have (a recent version of) Xcode installed.

> I'm trying to work my way up to compiling mplayer and mencoder on
> windows as well, but the process seems daunting to someone who isn't a
> programmer (seems to be lots and lots of libraries or headers or whatnot
> to collect and put in the right places - scarey). Maybe someone can
> provide a nice, up to date guide on that too... The ones I've found
> online so far are completely out of date, and reference various utility
> packages that no longer exist.

Well, I do have my all-in-one package (well, for those who already have
MinGW installed) here:
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/mpl_mingw32.zip
but the problem is that rebuilding it is too painful so it is quite
out-dated (it works for MPlayer, but may have security issues), so I
can't fully recommend it - it also does not included the MinGW fixes
necessary to work right with files > 2GB.
This: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php should be rather complete
and up-to-date though but it's still a lot of stuff.