[MEncoder-users] slang and forcedsubsonly

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon Apr 20 04:18:06 CEST 2009

With the MEncoder from freebsd ports (1.0rc2-4.2.1) I used to be able to
use "-forcedsubsonly -slang en" and it would pick up the foreign language
subtitles quite well for movies that utilized them instead of a separate
subtitle track. With a version compiled from a SVN snapshot a week
or so old, I always get the subtitle regardless of the forced status.
Basic command is:

mencoder -forcedsubsonly -slang en -chapter 5-5 \
   -oac copy -ovc x264 -ffourcc H264 -ofps 24000/1001 \
   -vf harddup -aspect 16/9 -vc ffmpeg12 -x264encopts bitrate=750 \
   -o one.avi dvd://01

Where the old version works fine and the SVN version will have the
subtitles. Has the behavior of mencoder changed with respect to forced
subs?

Thanks