[MEncoder-users] rip dvd to mkv, ogm, mp4 script

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 28 21:42:10 CEST 2008

Laine Lee wrote:
> On 9/28/08 7:11 AM, "Wes Morgan" <morganw at chemikals.org> wrote:
>

>> You might want to look over this section of the faq:
>>
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-telecine.html
>>

> My question is related to problems with the ripdvd script solution, not
> problems with my understanding of how to use mencoder (not that there aren't
> plenty of those). But if the script doesn't provide solutions to the
> problems mentioned in the section of the faq to which you refer, then I
> propose that that limits the script's usefulness. If the topic is too
> tangential to be discussed on this list, then I'll be happy to take the
> discussion elsewhere.
>
> Laine Lee

The problem is with your source material. Television DVDs, Disney DVDs,
and quite a few older Japanese Anime DVDs have mixed framerates. This
often happens with material that was originally shot at film-rate, but
subsequently edited on video-rate equipment. The video-rate stuff on the
Disney DVDs is generally just the logo and intro parts - the rest of the
material is usually film-rate. Stuff shot on film for TV and then edited
on video equipment will feature lots of edits that break the IVTC
cadence, making them a challenge to convert back to film-rate. Japanese
Anime often have so many video-rate segments that it's often easier to
treat them as video altogether, and use some kind of motion-compensated
deinterlace to avoid ghosting.

These DVDs will play fine on a DVD player, but when ripping to some
fixed frame rate format, you have make a decision - is it primarly
film-rate material with the occasional video-rate segments, or the other
way around? Then you encode to film-rate (-ofps 24000/1001) with
deinterlacing for the video parts, or you encode to video-rate (-ofps
30000/1001) and deinterlace the whole thing.