[MEncoder-users] avi2mp4.sh v1.1.5: Convert videos for your iPod

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 22:26:36 CEST 2008

Hi all!

Here's a little version update.

Changes between v1.1.4 and v1.1.5:

- Add $MP4BOX_IPOD to set whether "MP4Box -ipod ..." is run
- Add possibility to renice the script (alter its priority)
- use "-oac pcm" instead of "-oac copy"; it does add a little
  overhead (and we need more drive space) but it helps keeping
  audio and video in sync; also some audio codecs cannot be
  muxed into AVI, e.g. Vorbis, so now we're working around this
  issue

Most people won't know the script so I'll summarize what it's about:

I wrote it to spare myself having to type the same commands over and
over again. It uses e.g. mencoder and MP4Box to create X264/AAC-LC files
and wrap them in MP4. Simply run it on multiple input files at once and
wait for the MP4s to pop up.

Initially it was meant to be run on AVI files only but today it has very
few limitations regarding the input, it can even assist ripping DVDs.

If you're interested read the script's comments and give it a spin. My
own configuration file (~/.avi2mp4.conf) looks like this:

TMP_DIR="${HOME}/.tmp"
WORK_DIR="${HOME}/iPod"
MAX_BITRATE="650"
BPP="0.19"
X264_ENCOPTS="frameref=3:turbo=1:me=hex:subq=7:partitions=all:mixed_refs=1:fast_pskip=0:threads=auto:dct_decimate=0"
FAAC_ENCOPTS="-q 90"
MENCODER_OPTS="-sws 1"
MAX_RES="320x240"
MP4BOX_IPOD="yes"