[MEncoder-users] Audio / Video Sync issue

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 12:42:05 CEST 2008

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de writes:

> Okay found the time to try the dumpstream.....
>
> The dump itself works fine in mplayer, if I try to use it for dvd
> creation in dvdstyler I get an error that no valid header is
> found. So I ran again my ovc/oac copy command, the result is the
> same there is a delay - but the file plays fine in mplayer and can
> be used with dvdstyler.
>
> Can I consider this to be a bug of mencoder? If no, where is the
> bug? If yes, what shall I do?

Hard to tell without knowing the exact reason for the delay. But most
likely it's rather an mencoder deficiency than a bug.

Clearly, if the original file plays back fine in mplayer but remuxing
in mencoder gives a delay, the demuxer recognizes whatever delay
should be applied to streams. So I'd expect mencoder to at least issue
a big fat warning on remuxing, which it just never does.

Did you properly examine the logging messages on both occasions,
playback and remuxing, maybe with verbose option turned on? It's quite
possible there's a hint, most likely on startup.

Either way, my guess is you won't get this properly done with
mencoder. Most likely time stamps of at least one stream, video or
audio, have to be rewritten on remux, which afaik mencoder doesn't
support. ffmpeg seems to have support for this, and I remember I tried
it once a while back, but without the result I was hoping for. Maybe
you want to give it a shot anyway.

You could carry this issue to the dev list, but without further
details on the exact reason and maybe a test sample I doubt people
would be willing to spend much time on this. Could be though they give
you a workaround or alternative if you ask for it.