[MEncoder-users] Audio / Video Sync issue

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:39:07 CEST 2008

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de writes:

> The vob plays in mplayer, but I can't fast forward or jump to a
> certain position. The output mpg works fine in that regards. Don't
> know what the reason for that problem is, vobcopy should just dump
> the file from DVD to HDD so I'm unsure if it is a vobcopy bug.

No it's not a vobcopy bug. I had that problem too a couple of times,
where single vob's ripped from dvd could not be seeked by mplayer,
while playback of the whole dvd was fine. And I used different
rippers.

I didn't investigate the whole situation then, but I guess mplayer
isn't able to determine all stream parameters, which it could if
helped by the IFOs. Back then, it seemed to happen with the 2nd, 3rd,
... vob of the dvd title more often than the first, but I can't be
sure anymore. Maybe mplayer could do a better job if it seeked further
into the stream on startup, don't know.

Anyway, as an alternative, try mplayers -dumpstream to dump a whole
title into a single mpeg file. The output should play back with
mplayer alright. Plus it contains all the audio streams and subtitles,
which you can't conserve with mencoder ovc/oac copy.