[MEncoder-users] -ss seek position?

jthompson digitalhillbilly at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 05:52:17 CEST 2008

Hi all!  I'm haveing a problem getting mencoder to recognise the -ss parameter. I'm using XP sp2 and the string I'm using is:

mencoder -ss 00:00:00 -endpos 00:00:05 -nosound -ovc copy SOURCE_FILE.mpg -of mpeg -o OUT_FILE.mpg

The behavior is quite odd. With start / stop :00/:05 mencoder returns 5.005 secs and 150 frames writtenm, :01/:05 returns the same 5.005 secs and 150 frames, :02/:05 returns 4.505 secs and 135 frames, :03/:05 returns 3.505 secs and 105 frames, :04/:05 returns 3.003 secs and 90 frames and :05/:05 returns 2.002 secs and 60 frames. My .mpg test clip is only 6 seconds but I have tried longer clips.

I've also tried it with a different mpeg, a mpeg encoded avi and a dv encoded .mov . They all exhibit really strange behavior though a couple times things did seem to go right ( the number of frames were correct - i just watched the console output) but I could not duplicate it. I've tried this out on 4 different computers and am having no luck. I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Best!
dh