[MEncoder-users] Audio / Video Sync issue

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de karl-heinz-1950 at web.de
Sun Jun 8 05:50:02 CEST 2008

> OP implicitly knew that already though, has he experienced async on
> remux. I guess he wanted to know how to fix that though, and telling
> him to
>  * use the delay option
>  * find out how large the delay might be
> isn't very helpful at all I'd say.
>
> Helpful would be "find the value of a possible delay in the source
> stream by xy means and then apply that with the delay option on
> remuxing".
>
> There may even be alternative options, like automagically including
> silence or whatever. The mpeg stream demuxer has the knowledge after
> all, might give some hint or even assist in fixing this.

Some more information:

- I use mplayer to play the file
- Guessing the delay to 0.5 seems to be okay
- I'm using MEncoder 1.0rc2-SUSE Linux 10.2 (i686)-Packman-4.1.2

But then there is really the question, do I have to guess? Is there some Linux tool to find out the delay? About the -delay option the online documentation says "NOTE: When used with MEncoder, this is not guaranteed to work correctly with −ovc copy; use −audio−delay instead." I'm using -ovc copy, anyone any background information on what problem I might run into? I wanted to use the -audio-delay option then, but it says it only works for avi...

Thanks so far!