[MEncoder-users] Audio / Video Sync issue

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 14:50:19 CEST 2008

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de writes:

> But then there is really the question,
> do I have to guess?

I'm really not sure in this case. I had avi's with delays (start time
offsets stored in the container), and there mplayer spit out a notice
on playback. But mpeg input is another ballpark. You could play your
source, log and closely look at mplayers output, first with normal and
then increased verbosity. The demuxer might well give a hint like
"applying delay of ..." or similar.

> Is there some Linux tool to find out the delay?

No clue.

> About the -delay option the online documentation says
> "NOTE: When used with MEncoder, this is not guaranteed to work
> correctly with −ovc copy; use −audio−delay
> instead."
> I'm using -ovc copy, anyone any background information on what
> problem I might run into?

"not guaranteed to work" likely means the delay is just not
applied. That's presumably the problem you might run into.  About the
reasons, don't ask me. My guess is that 'delay' would really touch
stream packet time stamps, and that mencoder won't recompute those
without reencoding.

> I wanted to use the -audio-delay option then, but it says it only
> works for avi...

Ye. At some point, you will have to realize that mencoder, while it
seems to sport many options due to ffmpeg, is really comfortable only
with avi output. Anything else might or might not work with your
specific options. And if it doesn't work that might mean nonobvious
bugs which cost you lots of time. In fact, you can be grateful there's
this explicit statement in the man page.

> Thanks so far!

Hope somebody else has more specific advice for you.