[MEncoder-users] Audio / Video Sync issue

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 16:58:50 CEST 2008

Raimund Berger wrote:
> The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> karl-heinz-1950 at web.de wrote:
>>
>>> Result is for all versions the same, the video / audio is out of
>>> sync. It looks like that the lag between audio and video is constant
>>> and doesn't increase over time (in case that matters), I would say it
>>> is about 0.5 - 1s, you clearly see people moving the mouth and then
>>> you hear what they say, so sound is behind.
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>> Try the '-delay' option.
>

> You must be joking. From film/tv to DVD production, all sources and
> intermediates contain accurate timing info. This includes his source
> material, considering that mpeg2 is clock synced. And now he should
> start guessing delays? Wow ...

That may depend on what he is viewing the material on.

Some of the set top boxes with HW decoders appear to not be able to deal with
the timestamps.    The mvpmc box is at least one of the devices that appears to
have this issue, if I understand things correctly the problem deals with the
buffers for the audio and video and the software not being able to know how much
is in the separate buffers, or what timestamp is currently playing so you load
up the buffers and things can slowly drift out of sync, especially if the
material in the file that is being played has a delay of one stream over the other.

To get things to play decently on the mvpmc I had to set the delay to 0.

                              Roger