[MEncoder-users] how to split 8gb wmv bluray wmv file (VC-1 codec)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 09:53:05 CET 2007

On 11/1/07, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Valent,
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 20:16:59 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > On 10/31/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Mencoder can certainly do it, but not well at all. It should be trivial
> > > for a simple program that understands WMV to split files.
> >
> > I wanted some simple program to split wmv file but is there some under
> > linux? My googling only pointed to mencoder, I didn't find any other
> > utility to do this... but maybe I was using wrong key words. Can you
> > suggest some good utility to split wmv files?
> >
> > I was so desperate that I also tried running few freeware and
> > shareware from windows under wine but they all failed... I'm not sure
> > because they are crap of because of running under wine.
>
> Well, there's a "free" programm (free if you own a genuine copy of
> M$ Windows) from Microsoft, which should very well be able to split
> WMVs. :) I'd guess it won't run under Wine, but you can give it a try:
>
> "Windows Media file Editor"
> It's part of the Windows Media Encoder package:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx
>
> Very very sorry for plugging Mickysoft here!
>
> Moritz, prefers not to use Windows Media formats.
>
> P.S./BTW: I recently "cut" a WMV file in a similar way using mencoder,
>           except that
>           a) it was constant speed, and
>           b) I only needed a proper beginning and end of one section.
>           It was a WM stream nicely dropped to disk by mplayer. :-) The
>           start position (apparently) always landed at one of the rare
>           keyframes, regardless of the beginning I told mencoder, and
>           mencoder always stumbled across some extra or missing frames
>           at the very beginning of conversion. (Yeah, get the FPS right
>           too. :-/) The MPEG2 result is very fine though on DVD.

The last thing I was hoping to get from mencoder mailing list was
windows tool tip :)

I was hopin that some mencoder guru will just drop some magic from his
hat and I would just copy/paste it and go happy :)

Is there really no way to do this with mencoder or some other linux
tool? Is VFR really beyond what mencoder can handle?

Regards,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/