[MEncoder-users] how to split 8gb wmv bluray wmv file (VC-1 codec)

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Nov 1 10:58:09 CET 2007

Hi Valent,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 20:16:59 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On 10/31/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mencoder can certainly do it, but not well at all. It should be trivial
> > for a simple program that understands WMV to split files.
>
> I wanted some simple program to split wmv file but is there some under
> linux? My googling only pointed to mencoder, I didn't find any other
> utility to do this... but maybe I was using wrong key words. Can you
> suggest some good utility to split wmv files?
>
> I was so desperate that I also tried running few freeware and
> shareware from windows under wine but they all failed... I'm not sure
> because they are crap of because of running under wine.

Well, there's a "free" programm (free if you own a genuine copy of
M$ Windows) from Microsoft, which should very well be able to split
WMVs. :) I'd guess it won't run under Wine, but you can give it a try:

"Windows Media file Editor"
It's part of the Windows Media Encoder package:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

Very very sorry for plugging Mickysoft here!

Moritz, prefers not to use Windows Media formats.

P.S./BTW: I recently "cut" a WMV file in a similar way using mencoder,
          except that
          a) it was constant speed, and
          b) I only needed a proper beginning and end of one section.
          It was a WM stream nicely dropped to disk by mplayer. :-) The
          start position (apparently) always landed at one of the rare
          keyframes, regardless of the beginning I told mencoder, and
          mencoder always stumbled across some extra or missing frames
          at the very beginning of conversion. (Yeah, get the FPS right
          too. :-/) The MPEG2 result is very fine though on DVD.