[MEncoder-users] Help with MPG video encoding

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Mar 14 04:18:28 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
Walter Belhaven <wbelhaven at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When I try with {vqscale,vqmin}={2,1} or {2,2}, the resulting file
> size is even smaller than that original example I uploaded,

That really doesn't add-up at all.  There may be some other error in
your command-line, or perhaps you're using a buggy binary of MPlayer.

> When I try {1,1} or {0.01,1}, the file gets much larger and much less
> blocky,

Your video still only seems to be using a bitrate of ~3000k, which is
surprisingly low for vqscale=1/2.  I would expect at least 6000k.

> Looks much better to me.  Is there anything else that can be done to
> make it even less blocky, or is that pretty much it?

You might try different *cmp= options, particularly 3 (DCT).

Many people seem much happier with noise in their videos, covering up
blockiness.  In that case, look for the NSSEW option, or you can try
encoding with Xvid.  You can try denoising, deblocking, etc. while
encoding the video to cover up artifacts.

If you're interested in reducing the bitrate, there's lots of good info
in the docs.