[MEncoder-users] Help with MPG video encoding

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 02:14:23 CET 2007

--- RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> >   -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=0.01:aspect=16/9 \
>
> Mystery solved.
>
> vqscale is integer, NOT a float value.  IIRC, only snow accepts 0,
> and to select vqscale=1, you also need to set vqmin=1.
>
> As I can see from the sample, the video is encoding at 800kbps,
> which is lavc's default if no vbitrate/vqscale is specified.
> Try again with vqscale=2

Interesting.  When I try with {vqscale,vqmin}={2,1} or {2,2}, the
resulting file size is even smaller than that original example I
uploaded, and every bit as blocky.  When I try {1,1} or {0.01,1}, the
file gets much larger and much less blocky, which is definitely what I
want.  Looks like vqscale=1,vqmin=1 is the ticket.  I uploaded the
{1,1} version here:

ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/wbelhaven-mpg4-480p-qscale1-qmin1.avi

Looks much better to me.  Is there anything else that can be done to
make it even less blocky, or is that pretty much it?  Thanks much for
your help!

WB