[MEncoder-users] Help with MPG video encoding

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 18:32:21 CET 2007

--- RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> That really doesn't add-up at all.  There may be some other error in
> your command-line, or perhaps you're using a buggy binary of MPlayer.

Hmmm, interesting thought.  I downloaded and ran the latest windows
"release" (mingw32-1.0rc1) and got the exact same result.

> You might try different *cmp= options, particularly 3 (DCT).

Thanks, I'll look into that.  Very much appreciate your help.

One more question about MPG2, if you don't mind.  Is mencoder now
producing truly "DVD legal" MPG2 that won't cause the older standalone
players to freeze?  I had much frustration many moons ago trying to get
mencoder to create DVD-legal output that wouldn't cause my old player
to freeze.  If this is no longer an issue, what's the magic elixer?  Is
it "-mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf" (thanks Nico!) along with using Xvid
rate control ("-lavcopts ...vrc_strategy=1...") along with the rest of
the prescription in the user guide (i.e., appropriate bitrates,
vrc_buf_size, etc.)?  Or is there some other often overlooked option or
options that one needs (e.g., vstrict=1, etc.)?

Thanks,
WB