[MEncoder-users] mp3 audio playback problem in Windows

Andriy Babiy ABabiy at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 11 08:59:46 CEST 2007

Hi everybody,

I need your advice about audio encoding. I capture small video clips with
my digital photo camera (Olympus Stylus 800). Video is MOV, audio is PCM 8
kbps. Then, I want to encode it: video - to xvid, audio - to mp3 (scaling,
changing the bitrate, etc.). I use:

mencoder \
-vf scale=400:300 \
-srate 48000 -af resample=48000:0:2,volnorm=2:0.4 \
-ofps 24000/1001 \
-ovc xvid \
-xvidencopts \
bitrate=-2048:me_quality=6:max_bframes=2:trellis:quant_type=h263:\
vhq=4:autoaspect:bvhq=1:\
hq_ac:chroma_opt:chroma_me:closed_gop \
-oac mp3lame \
-lameopts cbr:br=64:aq=0:mode=1:highpassfreq=0:lowpassfreq=0 \
-o movie.avi \
movie.mov

The encoded movie is played in Mplayer correctly. Then, I sent the file to
my friends - they use Windows, so they tried opening it in Windows Media
Player (shipped with the system) and in K-Lite. Both failed to play audio.
K-Lite is as quiet as a fish; Windows Media Player plays audio, but it
sounds like the movie is forwarded at x2 or x4 speed.

Could anyone point me at what is wrong with the encoding options?
Thank you very much in advance!

Andriy