[MEncoder-users] Generating a 1-second MPEG file from ONE png picture

scostas scostas at det.uvigo.es
Mon Jun 11 11:19:49 CEST 2007

Hi all:

(the question is nearly at the end. Please, be patient).

To create the menus for a DVD I need an MPEG file made from a PNG
picture. After trying a lot of things (with big problems with sound
durations smaller than 17/25 of second) I found this method to create it
from just one png picture instead of repeating the same picture X times
with correlative names:

mencoder -srate 48000 ... (options for coding DVD-compliant MPEG2
files)... -audiofile one_second_of_silence.wav -mf type=png:fps=1 -ofps
25 mf://my_png_picture.png

I'm setting the FPS for the png to 1 FPS, and the output fps to 25 (or
30000/1001 for NTSC). Of course I use harddup... This seems to work
really fine.

The question is: is this 100% legal with Mencoder? This is: it currently
works, but can it stop working in a near future?

I ask this because when I tried to generate MPEG files using audio files
of less than 17/25 of second (this is, a PAL file with less than 17
frames) it failed. And when playing the file with Xine or VLC it ends
just a little before the end of the file itself (is like it lacks one
frame). Finally, even using harddup there aren't the classic messages of
"Duplicate frame", common when the input fps are different than the
output fps.

Thanks.