[MEncoder-users] SUB: Could not determine file format

Florian Erfurth floh-erfurth at arcor.de
Wed Jun 6 17:14:31 CEST 2007

James Tripp wrote:

> mplayer "/home/floh/temp/movie.avi" -vf scale=480:256,harddup -sws 9
> -subfont-text-scale 4 -subfont-blur 1 -subfont-outline 1 -subcp cp1252
> -vobsub "/home/floh/test/movie" -slang en -ao null -vo yuv4mpeg
>
> mencoder stream.yuv -o /home/floh/temp/newmovie.avi -ovc xvid
> -xvidencopts bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:cartoon -nosound

It works fine! Thank you very much!

Now I want to know if I'm right. Are those parameters not needed since
vobsub is not a textbased subtitle (so I should remove this if using
vobsub):
-subfont-text-scale 4   <- seems it doesn't affect to vobsub, where could I
set size for subtitles from vobsub?
-subfont-blur 1   <- Not sure if this has effect to vobsub.
-subfont-outline 1 <- Not sure if this has effect to vobsub.
-subcp cp1252   <- Image-based Subtitle doesn't use CodePage.
harddup <- As far as I understand from manpage this option is only for
mencoder.

Could you please tell me, in which points I am right, and which not.

Another question... the progress-bar of my application (avi2pmp) works fine
with mencoder because avi2pmp greps the lines, containing string "Pos:",
and then get the value between the brackets. Unfortunatelly there is no
percentage-output from mplayer (mencoder does) so I don't know how avi2pmp
could determine how far mplayer is. The output A: (for audio) and V: (fpr
video) tells me the position of the movie in seconds. I could use this
value in seconds, if I know how to determine the total length of the movie
from mplayer. Tips?

cu Floh