[MEncoder-users] SUB: Could not determine file format

James Tripp eliared at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 01:33:37 CEST 2007

Florian Erfurth <floh-erfurth at arcor.de> wrote:What is the aquivalent command to this one if I want to use mplayer instead
of mencoder (and of course instead using srt-file I want to use the
sub&idx-file). You would be a great help, if you could write a
example-commandline so I can easily add this feature (adding subtitle from
sub/idx-files) into my GUI. :)

Maybe I should do that in 2 steps. First step only adds subtitle to avi
without changing codec and other things. Then do the second step like the
mencoder-command above but without subtitle-arguments. Is that the cleanest
way? Or is that bad idea because the movie would be "encoded twice"? I mean
the more you encode a movie the more you lose the video-quality, am I
right?

mplayer "/home/floh/temp/movie.avi" -vf scale=480:256,harddup -sws 9
-subfont-text-scale 4 -subfont-blur 1 -subfont-outline 1 -subcp cp1252
-vobsub "/home/floh/test/movie" -slang en -ao null -vo yuv4mpeg

mencoder stream.yuv -o /home/floh/temp/newmovie.avi -ovc xvid
-xvidencopts bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:cartoon -nosound

You have to use two steps.
step one to use mplayer that recognizes vobsubs, ,add em,  stream to uncompressed images.
Step 2 encode with mencoder.

where do we get your gui to try?

gl