[MEncoder-users] SUB: Could not determine file format

Florian Erfurth floh-erfurth at arcor.de
Wed Jun 6 01:02:45 CEST 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Hello,
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 02:07:53PM +0200, Florian Erfurth wrote:
> [...]
>> It would be if only it would works:
>> -vobsub is not an MEncoder option
>>
>> :( Is there a way with mencoder?
>
> No, though you can render the subtitles with mplayer into a file or fifo
> using -vo yuv4mpeg and encode that.
Ok, that would be ok. But since I don't know much about mencoder/mplayer but
I want to write a GUI, which uses mencoder (mplayer would be ok as long as
it runs without its gui (because I'm using QProcess)).
Here is the example commandline if I want to encode and put in subtitle with
srt-file:

mencoder -sws 9 -subfont-text-scale 4 -subfont-blur 1 -subfont-outline
1 -unicode -subcp cp1252 -vf
scale=480:256,harddup -sub "/home/floh/test/movie.srt" -vf
scale=480:256 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:cartoon -nosound "/home/floh/temp/movie.avi" -o /home/floh/temp/newmovie.avi
<<<
What is the aquivalent command to this one if I want to use mplayer instead
of mencoder (and of course instead using srt-file I want to use the
sub&idx-file). You would be a great help, if you could write a
example-commandline so I can easily add this feature (adding subtitle from
sub/idx-files) into my GUI. :)

Maybe I should do that in 2 steps. First step only adds subtitle to avi
without changing codec and other things. Then do the second step like the
mencoder-command above but without subtitle-arguments. Is that the cleanest
way? Or is that bad idea because the movie would be "encoded twice"? I mean
the more you encode a movie the more you lose the video-quality, am I
right?

I know you would probably tell me to read the f***ing manual, but I want to
hear from you which way would be cleanest for videos. Ah... if you know
another command-line-application (like mencoder) which does include vobsub
better than mencoder/mplayer, let me know please. Avimuxer2 would be fine
since it uses subtitle-filter but... I can't use Avimuxer2 from my
GUI-Application since Avimuxer2 is not a commandline-application.
Is mencoder able to use external filters/plugins? I think no.

Sorry for much questions, but I would even be glad if someone of you could
answer a part of these questions.

Thank you very much!
cu Floh