[MEncoder-users] Fwd: xvid and x264 libs not linked when ./configure --enable-x264 used

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jul 28 13:56:45 CEST 2007

Peter Cordes wrote:

>  I usually configure mplayer with
> ./configure --enable-x264 --enable-xvid ...
> so it will actually break if it can't find them.  I'd rather find out
> while I'm already recompiling it, instead of later when I go to
> encode something.

Is there some reason you cannot simply check the output of configure,
specifically the "enabled" and "disabled" sections at the end?

> Anyway, with those options, make leaves out -lxvidcore and -lx264
> when linking mencoder.  The result is lots of unresolved symbols, so
> no mencoder. This problem popped between r23843 and the current SVN
> r23886.

There have been five changes to configure since r23843. One of them
added support for a new architecture; another extended support for a
previously supported architecture; another corrected one aspect of
detection of MMX; another fixed a problem with enabling features found
in the local copy of FFmpeg; and the last was part of an argument
between developers about vo_mga.

None of these seem like they could have affected XviD or x264.

Furthermore, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying the problem is.
All of the behaviour you describe is by longstanding and intentional.

The --enable options disable autodetection entirely; if you use one
which requires particular compiler flags, you must manually specify them
via configure options. Search for "extra" in the output of 'configure
--help'.

This behaviour is by design, and has been in effect for quite literally
years (though there have been holes in its implementation which may have
been closed as recently as months ago). If compilation with --enable-*
but without specifying additional compiler flags worked for you in that
period, it was almost certainly pure luck.

>  I use
> ./configure --enable-largefiles --enable-x264 --enable-xvid \
> --enable-fbdev --enable-alsa --disable-dga --disable-svga \
> --disable-dxr2 --disable-dxr3 --disable-dvb --disable-dvbhead \
> --disable-zr --disable-tv --disable-vstream

In fact, almost certainly the only reason you do not also get errors
from '--enable-alsa' is that it is currently another such hole;
autodetection is performed even when the user has said "enable it, don't
autodetect".

There is no real autodetection for fbdev - it is simply enabled if
configure sees that it is running on Linux - or there might be problems
with that as well.

--
       The Wanderer is *still* not sure he isn't sticking his foot in
his mouth again

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.