[MEncoder-users] Re: Native Vorbis audio support in libavcodecs/MEncoder?

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Thu Feb 1 13:41:16 CET 2007

> You *can* encode Vorbis audio with MEncoder.
>
> mencoder -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=vorbis
>
> Not every container format can necessarily hold Vorbis audio, at least
> not cleanly, but the encoding capability is certainly there. I just
> tested with exactly that command line, no further options other than
> '-ovc copy' and a set of input/output filenames, and the resulting file
> (which was therefore an AVI) was completely playable.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Can I also tweak quality settings of Vorbis when
encoding, like q=<quality> or br=<bitrate> ?

> Where did you get the idea that it was impossible?

On a IRC channel, some people told me that MEncoder didn't support Vorbis
encoding with AVIs

> (Also, please do not start new discussions in the middle of an old
> thread, and please do not add > quotation indicators to non-quoted
> text.)

Sorry for the bad formatting, my client is freaking here. I didn't start any
new discussion at the middle of an old thread. This was my first mail