[MEncoder-users] Re: Native Vorbis audio support in libavcodecs/MEncoder?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Feb 1 13:20:08 CET 2007

Grozdan Nikolov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe a silly question, but why isn't there native Ogg Vorbis
> support in libavcodecs? I mean, I can encode the audio of my DVDs
> to MP3 (if linked to libmp3lame) or AC3, but MEncoder does not
> support encoding directly to Vorbis audio... Why is that?

You *can* encode Vorbis audio with MEncoder.

mencoder -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=vorbis

Not every container format can necessarily hold Vorbis audio, at least
not cleanly, but the encoding capability is certainly there. I just
tested with exactly that command line, no further options other than
'-ovc copy' and a set of input/output filenames, and the resulting file
(which was therefore an AVI) was completely playable.

Where did you get the idea that it was impossible?

(Also, please do not start new discussions in the middle of an old
thread, and please do not add > quotation indicators to non-quoted
text.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.