[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 01:15:53 CEST 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:14:29 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

> Certainly i've seen some examples where lavc performs better than xvid
> - but in 95% of real life video and anime xvid performs better for me.
> Also, xvid's problem in the rest of cases isn't details masking.

Thanks for saying that...  While putting together a comparison of lavc
and Xvid to show you, I got sidetracked by an even more surprising issue
I noticed... With quant_type=mpeg, Xvid ADDS RANDOM NOISE to the
video.  (Lavc does not)

Original/Source:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/cooleyr/riddick6.vob.png

Xvid (fixed_quant=2):
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/cooleyr/vq2-xvid-mpeg-00000001.png

Do all Xvid fanatics just prefer lots of random noise in their videos,
masking artifacts and all else?