[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Thu Aug 30 15:14:29 CEST 2007

Hi RC!

 On 2007.08.30 at 05:14:40 -0700, RC wrote next:

> > It depends on what are you trying to get. If you are aiming at
> > low-bitrate encode and will use postprocessing on playback, use lavc.
> > If you want to preserve a lot of detail, you'd have to use high
> > bitrate, no postprocessing and definitely xvid..
>
> I'd put that statement exactly the opposite way.  Even with
> quant_type=mpeg and the like, Xvid actually masks out details like the
> stars in a video of space I test with.  And lavc is a lot harder to make
> look good at low bitrates, which Xvid is targeted at, since preserving
> details at low bitrates causes artifacts... the opposite of what you
> want to do.

Certainly i've seen some examples where lavc performs better than xvid -
but in 95% of real life video and anime xvid performs better for me.
Also, xvid's problem in the rest of cases isn't details masking.

Maybe you've used wrong options? You shouldn't just use default options
if you want to make good encoding with xvid.. You can try the ones I
provided though they certainly can be tweaked for certain material.
If you don't want to make yet another encode, I can try that if you give
me the link to your source material. I'm pretty certain xvid with good
parameters doesn't do these horrible things you've described, at least
not usually.

--

Vladimir