[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:14:40 CEST 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:37:51 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

> It depends on what are you trying to get. If you are aiming at
> low-bitrate encode and will use postprocessing on playback, use lavc.
> If you want to preserve a lot of detail, you'd have to use high
> bitrate, no postprocessing and definitely xvid..

I'd put that statement exactly the opposite way.  Even with
quant_type=mpeg and the like, Xvid actually masks out details like the
stars in a video of space I test with.  And lavc is a lot harder to make
look good at low bitrates, which Xvid is targeted at, since preserving
details at low bitrates causes artifacts... the opposite of what you
want to do.