[MEncoder-users] DivX in 1.0rc1

Joshua Crawford mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 30 19:30:35 CET 2006

* RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> [2006-10-29 08:34 -0800]:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:44:19 +1100
> Joshua Crawford <mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> This seems a step backwards, and in that spirit I'm downloading
>> 1.0pre8, which I somehow missed when it was released.
>
> By all means, please explain why you need or want to use Divx, as
> opposed to the fully-compatible alternatives, which are widely accepted
> as being better...

My computer is ancient and barely plays video with a bare xterm, let alone
the GNOME 2.14 desktop I use. So I convert files to DivX, burn them to CD
and play them on the DVD player. Apart from DivX (and DVD, VCD and SVCD of
course), it doesn't play any other type of video I've noticed (I've tried
lavc, but not with advanced options nor faking the fourcc).

> In fact, the last time I checked, mencoder couldn't even do 2-pass
> encoding using -ovc divx, so it's hardly a step down.

I don't want 2-pass encoding, I want the simple options I've been using. I
don't know much about all this stuff, and I had something easy which worked.

I'll continue using the old version until something breaks it, by which time
hopefully I'll have a better setup and won't need this workaround.
--
Joshua 'bruce' Crawford ... http://www.geocities.com/mortarn
Listening to: hack_20061026

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."
		-- Joseph Stalin