[MEncoder-users] DivX in 1.0rc1

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue Oct 31 15:38:03 CET 2006

Joshua Crawford wrote:
> * RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> [2006-10-29 08:34 -0800]:
> > On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:44:19 +1100
> >
> > Joshua Crawford <mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >> This seems a step backwards, and in that spirit I'm downloading
> >> 1.0pre8, which I somehow missed when it was released.
> >
> > By all means, please explain why you need or want to use Divx, as
> > opposed to the fully-compatible alternatives, which are widely accepted
> > as being better...
>
> My computer is ancient and barely plays video with a bare xterm, let
> alone the GNOME 2.14 desktop I use. So I convert files to DivX, burn them
> to CD and play them on the DVD player. Apart from DivX (and DVD, VCD and
> SVCD of course), it doesn't play any other type of video I've noticed
> (I've tried lavc, but not with advanced options nor faking the fourcc).

Your player surely will also play lavc and xvid files.
Just dont use fancy options (many b-frames, qpel,..) and use a divx fourcc.

lavc and xvid will play as good as your divx4 files but will have higher
quality. Additionally xvid and lavc are faster (at comparable quality
levels) than divx4.

> > In fact, the last time I checked, mencoder couldn't even do 2-pass
> > encoding using -ovc divx, so it's hardly a step down.
>
> I don't want 2-pass encoding, I want the simple options I've been using.

The optins can remain simple. You also don't need two-pass for lavc or divx.
(But two-pass increases quality)