[MEncoder-users] DivX in 1.0rc1

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Oct 29 17:34:43 CET 2006

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:44:19 +1100
Joshua Crawford <mortarn_lists at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Will you be stripping support for other codecs from mencoder as well?

Not for encoding, but for decoding:  As native codecs are developed, you
can probably expect comparable binary codecs to be left-out...

> This seems a step backwards, and in that spirit I'm downloading
> 1.0pre8, which I somehow missed when it was released.

By all means, please explain why you need or want to use Divx, as
opposed to the fully-compatible alternatives, which are widely accepted
as being better...

In fact, the last time I checked, mencoder couldn't even do 2-pass
encoding using -ovc divx, so it's hardly a step down.