[MEncoder-users] xvid second pass

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Mar 5 22:06:54 CET 2006

Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Marco wrote:
>
>> Of these two pass commands
>>
>> $ mencoder dolbycity.vob -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -o
>> /dev/null
>> works
>>
>> $ mencoder dolbycity.vob -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2 -o
>> out.avi
>> gives me
>>
>> File not found: 'frameno.avi'
>> Failed to open frameno.avi
>> Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
>> Using MMX optimized resampler
>> The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
>> xvid: you must specify one or a valid combination of 'bitrate',
>> 'pass', 'quantizer' settings
>> FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
>>
>> What's wrong?
>
> read the error reported and you will find the answer yourself

All that does is lead to the conclusion that "pass=1" is valid alone,
but "pass=2" requires the presence of either the "bitrate" or the
"quantizer" option - which, if true, would seem very odd to me.

(Not that he'd be likely to get a lot of help right away even if there
*is* a genuine problem, since the lines about frameno.avi reveal that
he's using 1.0pre7try2 or earlier.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.