[MEncoder-users] xvid second pass

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Mar 5 23:14:13 CET 2006

On Sunday, 05 March 2006 at 22:06, The Wanderer wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
> >Marco wrote:
> >
> >>Of these two pass commands
> >>
> >>$ mencoder dolbycity.vob -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -o
> >>/dev/null
> >>works
> >>
> >>$ mencoder dolbycity.vob -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2 -o
> >>out.avi
> >>gives me
> >>
> >>File not found: 'frameno.avi'
> >>Failed to open frameno.avi
> >>Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
> >>Using MMX optimized resampler
> >>The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
> >>xvid: you must specify one or a valid combination of 'bitrate',
> >>'pass', 'quantizer' settings
> >>FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
> >>
> >>What's wrong?
> >
> >read the error reported and you will find the answer yourself
>
> All that does is lead to the conclusion that "pass=1" is valid alone,
> but "pass=2" requires the presence of either the "bitrate" or the
> "quantizer" option - which, if true, would seem very odd to me.

Not really. XviD uses q=2 in first pass, IIRC, so no bitrate or quantizer
is required or necessary. In fact, if you specify bitrate, you'll get
a message saying it's being ignored.

HTH,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression