[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Fri Jun 9 05:04:27 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Crumrine <zybhjk at verizon.net>

>I don't have the exact differences (they are readily available
online), but PIV celerons are significantly worse-performing than their
>full-fledged (Northwood core) brethren.  Their architecture is quite
different besides just cache size - as you have found they do not
>perform anywhere near as well as their clock speed would imply.

 From my reading, it would appear that the only noticable difference is
the size of the L2 cache, with the Mobile Celeron having only 256k.
Now, a standard P4 celeron, with only 128k L2 is junk.  But the mobile
chips have more cahce, and thus normally perform within 90% of a
similar rated P4 fm what I have read.

>If you are interested, I'd be happy to run benchmarks on my P4 2ghz
(512k L2, 400mhz fsb) to see the differences between it and a
faster-clocked celeron.

Once again, I am using a Mobile Celeron, so a P4 based desktop Celeron
would not give the same results due to the smaller L2.  I'm justing
trying to find out what the "sweet spot" is for Mencoder's performance
when it comes to L2 cache.  Is 256k enough or does 512k make that much
of a difference.

Does anyone have maybe a Duron with 256k cache?  That would be agood
comparision.