[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue Jun 6 09:12:22 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 6. Juni 2006 00:19 schrieb larrystotler at netscape.net:

>   How much does L2 cache impact performance? Is 512k L2 a huge benefit
> over 256k?

I don't know if 256k is too less for mencoder but generally speaking
mencoder does not need much cache. An Athlon with 1MByte of cache is not
faster than a 512k version.
It's all about CPU clock, CPU architecture and memory bandwidth.

>   How much does memory speed impact performance?

much.

>   How much does Hard Drive speed affect performance?

Hard drive speed does not affect encoding performance.

>   I prefer XviD since it seems to work better on slow cpus(my kids have
> 300-400Mhz laptops, and Xvid doesn't drop frames that bad but X264 did
> in my testing. I'd rather not sacrifice quality in pursuit of small
> file sizes....

x264 is very CPU hungry. Use an MPEG4 codec like lavc or xvid.

Regards,
  Matthias