[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Tue Jun 6 19:45:13 CEST 2006

larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
> [...]

Whenever anybody starts being rude on this list it's because they don't
know the answer. So don't worry about that :)

Your best bet is to experiment.  There are too many unknowns and in
particular of course the behaviour of the compiler will make a
considerable difference.  One version of gcc with one set of
optimisation flags may accidently squeeze some crucial piece of data
into the L2 cache on a particular processor etc.   gcc has never given
any guarantees and I remember compiling code with higher optimisation
levels that ran more slowly and finding that after using -Os it didn't
fit in cache etc.

You may be able to find tools that give you useful stats (e.g.
cachegrind http://valgrind.org/info/tools.html). If you can run
systematic tests using such tools with as many different gccs and
options and cpus as possible then I am sure we would all be very
interested to see the results.

Raphael