[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Tue Jun 6 19:32:40 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org>

>I don't know specifically about your systems, but I wouldn't expect
much performance out of a P4. I did some rough tests with lavc and x264
a while back and found >that a 1.2 GHz Athlon Thunderbird was
outperforming a 1.7 GHz P4 by 10-20%. As far as I know early Athlon
processors were roughly equivalent to late P3s, >clock-for-clock, so
the numbers you posted don't seem out of line.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the P4 was actually optimized for
stuff like this and that it should outperform the Athlon in this
regard.  I've never been a fan of the P4 series, but I ended up with
with some chips and was hoping that they would be well suited for this
type of stuff.  Oh well.  Thanx for the insight.

I appreciate all the advice that has been given to me by the list
members.  Thanx.