[MEncoder-users] Removing strange noise around edges

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Nov 28 22:50:40 CET 2005

Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

> Hello. I've found some ugly noise that I want to remove. Take a look
> at the sample image: http://winterbird.no-ip.org/sample.png As you can
> see there is some strange noise around the edges on his red cloths.
> This noise changes pattern all the time and is very irritating. But
> the only way I've found to remove it is to overuse the unsharpening
> and/or denoising filters, resulting in extensive detail loss, and I
> don't want that...
>
> Does anyone know a way to remove this ugly noise without destroying
> the rest of the video? A short sample (copied from the dvd to a mpg
> file) can be found here: http://winterbird.no-ip.org/sample.mpg

Hej

I have looked at the picture, and it seems that video was incorrectly
deinterlaced,
this happens when someone think that anime is interlaced, when its
indeed telecined.
So these artefacts are from wrong field sampling, plus, normal MPEG/JPEG
artefacts
due to image compression. The problem reveals itself only on
high-saturated areas,
so I think its better to pass the video through normal denoiser, and see
if it will be
watchable. If not, the only way is to rip again from DVD or get another
rip if DVD is
out of reach.

Philipp