[MEncoder-users] Removing strange noise around edges

Fredrik Eriksson feffese at yahoo.se
Mon Nov 28 23:33:10 CET 2005

Phil Oleynik wrote:

> Hej
>
> I have looked at the picture, and it seems that video was incorrectly
> deinterlaced,
> this happens when someone think that anime is interlaced, when its
> indeed telecined.
> So these artefacts are from wrong field sampling, plus, normal
> MPEG/JPEG artefacts
> due to image compression. The problem reveals itself only on
> high-saturated areas,
> so I think its better to pass the video through normal denoiser, and
> see if it will be
> watchable. If not, the only way is to rip again from DVD or get
> another rip if DVD is
> out of reach.
>
> Philipp

That is a lossless png image, and the source *is* the untouched dvd.
Take a look at the mpg sample, it's  copied with mencoder:

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy dvd://4 -chapter 1-1 -vf pullup,softskip
-ss 33 -endpos 50 -of mpeg -o sample.mpg

the best thing I could come up with to remove the blocking is to
something like smartblur=0.9:0.8:20 it still leaves some flickering
though, and the detail loss is horrible. hqdn3d=40:0:4 also removes the
noise, but you can guess how the video looks like after that...

Fredrik