[MEncoder-users] My partial success trying to make part of DVD a streaming Internet video.

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Apr 7 05:40:29 CEST 2005

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:36:21 -0400
tom friedel <tom at readyink.com> wrote:

> which makes a video that works very well.  However it seems I am still
> getting about 20% worse
> compression than I see on the news.yahoo.com videos.

You don't have a very good command-line there.  Use "mbd=2" and "trell" in your lavcopts at minimum.  Remove "vqscale", add a "vbitrate=" value, and do 2-pass encoding.  You'll get much better results.

> If I run mencoder with -of mpeg I get
> many lines like
> Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!   6mb  A-V:0.057 [0:0] and
> a bad output file.

You aren't using a CVS snapshot of mencoder, which has a new and much improved MPEG muxer.  You aren't using "-vf harddup" which is necessary when outputting to MPEG.  But most importantly, MPEG files are MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video, not MPEG-4, which you are trying to use.  You probably won't find any other players that support it.

For MPEG-4 video, you could make an ASF file to be compatible with WMP, or you could put it in an MP4 container with AAC audio to be perfectly standard.  You can use ffmpeg to do either, or you can use the software (and docs) from mpeg4ip.sf.net to create an MP4 file.