[MEncoder-users] inverse telecine with 60 fps progressive video

Scott W. Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Thu Apr 7 08:53:47 CEST 2005

I'm having difficulty getting a filter to correctly inverse telecine 60
fps progressive material that has been damaged by reception problems and
edits with the new EDL code. In all cases -fps is set to 59.94 and -ofps
is set to 23.976.

filmdint works perfectly on perfect material but often when the 3:2
pattern is lost, it does the worst thing possible by getting the 3:2
pattern backwards. That means it pulls the first and last frames from
the three frame sequence and completely skips the two frame sequence
leaving me with 12 fps video. It will continue to do this until another
break in the pattern somehow causes it to start working again. Verbose
mode shows that it's correctly recognizing the duplicate frames (the sad
values are all zero for those frames) but it never realizes it's doing
it all wrong. The options I'm using are:
filmdint=io=5:2/dint_thres=256/sad_thres=0/diff_thres=0.

pullup+softskip (the latest version in CVS) also works perfectly on
perfect material with strict breaks set to 1. It even does somewhat
better with the troublesome pattern breaks but it still doesn't
completely recover. It often bounces back and forth every few seconds
from pulling the right frames and pulling the stuttery 12 fps pattern
like filmdint does. I need to run this with verbose turned on to see why
it's not recovering.

ivtc=1 simply doesn't work. It picks the wrong frames from the very
beginning. I guess it's not expecting to see multiple progressive frames.

Would another filter like decimate help these filters by removing the
duplicate frames, giving the filters something closer to what they
expect? It seems like this should be a very easy pattern to pull from
since all the frames are progressive and clean (just that some of them
are missing sometimes).