[FFmpeg-user] Poor quality output when converting avi to mp4

Gyan gyandoshi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:45:30 EEST 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > As best as I can tell, ffmpeg does have issues with parsing non-standard
> > H.264 bitstreams. It's certainly not as resilient as other decoders.
>
> Could you elaborate?

Every few weeks, there's a question at one of the SE sites about a file
that does not convert as expected with ffmpeg. Most of the time, VLC or
Potplayer (Win player that I use) plays these files without a hitch. Many
of these tend to be from surveillance cameras or similar niche
applications. When I come across these in the future, I'll open tickets.