[FFmpeg-user] Poor quality output when converting avi to mp4

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:12:01 EEST 2017

> As best as I can tell, ffmpeg does have issues with parsing non-standard
> H.264 bitstreams. It's certainly not as resilient as other decoders.

Could you elaborate?
FFmpeg decoders (and demuxers) were written with the intent to
read as many non-standard files as possible and this is what we
have been experiencing (for a decade) - bugs such as the one
described in this ticket are of course possible.

Do you have (many) samples that fail with FFmpeg but work with
other decoders?

Or do you mean that error resilience for damaged (as opposed to
non-standard) H.264 is not as good as expected? Use
single-threaded decoding for improved error resilience with FFmpeg.
(Multi-threaded error resilience is non-trivial, and multi-threaded
decoding seemed - much - more important a few years ago than
error resilience.)