[FFmpeg-user] FLAC or Vorbis audio in .mov file

Malcolm Bechard thesauce at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:26:20 CET 2011

Hey,
I'm trying to encode FLAC or vorbis audio to a .mov file using the
following command

ffmpeg -i input.mov -i input.mp3 -vcodec mjpeg -acodec flac output.mov
ffmpeg -i input.mov -i input.mp3 -vcodec mjpeg -acodec libvorbis output.mov

I see the error:
Warning, using MS style audio codec tag, the file may be unplayable!

And the file is infact unplayable in VLC player.

According to this page (which I understand isn't the definitive answer),
both of these codecs should be legal in that container:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats#Audio_formats_supported

Looking into the ffmpeg code, I see in the file libavformat/isom.c has the
list of codec->tags which are legal.

Vorbis is commented out in that file, and FLAC is missing. Is this just a
matter of adding these codecs to this list, or is there other work that
needs to be done to add proper support for this audio codecs in this
container format?

Thanks

Malcolm