[FFmpeg-devel] Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Apr 9 06:09:53 EEST 2024

Hi,

Le 9 avril 2024 01:13:31 GMT+07:00, Romain Beauxis <romain.beauxis at gmail.com> a écrit :
>I would like to offer a constructive feedback really not intended as
>trolling. I believe that supporting a more modern development workflow such
>as the GitHub PR or gitlab MR would go very long way in helping onboarding
>new developers.

Switching to Github would certainly make it easier for new contributors to join. But it is most definitely not acceptable for political reasons for FFmpeg to switch over to a proprietary and US-based forge. Also most MRs would probably be craptastic kludges, which would only add to the review burden.

Switching to an own Gitlab instance would simplify code review (that's why I'm in favour) but it will add more burden on system admins, and make joining the project harder.

This may be counter-intuitive. But just look at the sad situation for projects hosted on code.videolan.org: people are back to submitting patches by mail or give up entirely due to how hard it is to create an account.

Lastly, I don't see how any of this helps motivate funding from big corps. Let's not miw things up here, please.