[FFmpeg-devel] Query from Reuters on XZ, open source, and Microsoft

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 00:29:56 EEST 2024

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 2:14 PM Romain Beauxis <romain.beauxis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like to offer a constructive feedback really not intended as
> trolling. I believe that supporting a more modern development workflow such
> as the GitHub PR or gitlab MR would go very long way in helping onboarding
> new developers.

Plus one(thousdand). While I don't think using MR or mailing list for
patches will immediately convince big tech corps to sponsor ffmpeg, it
would definitely help the developer community and make sure we don't lose
patchsets.

The other open source community that I am involved with, the OCaml
> compiler, moved to GitHub maybe 5/6 years ago and this has really done
> wonders bringing in new contributors. And, you know, this is a niche
> compiler that is also not getting much attention from AI/Machine Learning
> people.

Other open source projects are probably less plagued by patents.
--
Vittorio